Will keep in the fridge and can be used for up to 4 days.
- 1 clove of garlic crushed, (1)
- I cup of canola or rice bran oil
- 1-2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid
- small pinch of salt
Process garlic, salt and egg yolks in the small bowl of a food processor until well combined. Or you can place in a bowl and combine with hand mixer using a beater attachment.
Put oil in a jug with a lip. Slowly add oil. Start by putting in a drop at a time, once some emulsion has occurred add around 3/4 of the oil in a slow drizzle. (Note if you put oil in too quickly, particulary at start, the mayo will not work as the oil and egg will split)
Add the water and citric acid to give a slight tangy flavour and lighten mixture. Then add the remaining oil in a slow drizzle (as before) and continue processing to form a thick mayonnaise.
Cover and refrigerate until required.
Variation for low fodmap
(1) use a home made garlic infused oil (using canola or rice bran oil)
(2) if higher salicylates are tolerated use a commercial garlic infused olive oil