Contains gluten and dairy, moderate salicylates
Skinless, boneless chicken thighs stay moist and tender under a blanket of fluffy herb-flecked dumplings.
- 500 grams (skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1½-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon suitable oil
- 1 leek sliced chopped
- 2 CARROTS*, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons chopped Chives and Parsely
- ⅓ cup buttermilk or plain yoghurt,
1. Coat the chicken in 2 tablespoons of the flour, shaking off the excess.
2. In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer the thighs to a plate.
3. Add the leek , carrots, and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the water,¼ teaspoon of the salt. Return the chicken to the pan and bring to a boil.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup flour, the baking powder, baking soda, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Add the scallions, chives, and buttermilk, and stir to combine.
5. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the boiling chicken mixture to make 8 dumplings. Cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the chicken and dumplings are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.