Serves 2 as a main, or 4 as a side
- 2 tbsp of canola or rice bran oil
- 1 leek sliced (white only)
- 200g pearl barley (contains minor gluten)
- 1.2l home made vegetable stock or chicken stock using suitable ingredients.
- 1 cup of frozen PEAS (MSG)
- 2 Tbs cream cheese
- 1-2 Tbs chives, snipped (optional)
- Salt for seasoning
- Heat the oil in a large, deep pan, then gently fry the leek for about 5 mins. Stir in the pearl barley, sizzle for a few mins, then pour in about a third of the stock. Simmer fiercely for 20 mins, stirring occasionally, adding more stock gradually as it is absorbed. With 5 mins to go, stir in the peas. After 20 mins there should be some liquid left and the barley should be cooked through.
- Turn the heat off under the risotto and let it sit for a minute, then stir in the cream cheese. Season with salt and optional stir through chives.