For 6 serves you need
- 3 tablespoons canola, rice bran or other suitable oil oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 leek, washed and chopped
- 3 CARROTS (S), cut into a large, diced
- 1 stick celery, cut into slices (optional)
- ½ small head of Savoy cabbage (can also use common green cabbaage if you wish). Cored and cubed
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 6 to 8 cups of stock or water, or to taste
- 2 cups soaked and home cooked Canellini beans or other white beans. (or canned cannellini beans drained and rinsed).
- Salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan or soup pot on medium-high heat. Add garlic. Fry until it turns to a light gold.
2. Add the leek, carrots and celery, fry for a minute. Cover and turn the heat to medium-low. Sweat the vegetables for about 10 minutes, until they soften. Stir from time to time. Do not let them stick and burn!
3. Add cabbage. Mix well with the other vegetables. Cover again and sweat for another 3-5 minutes or until the cabbage begins to soften. Add the parsley and cook for another minute or so. Add the stock and and bring the soup to a boil over a high heat. Cover, turn the temperature to low and simmer gently for 25 minutes, or until the barley is nearly cooked.
4. Add the beans.. Cover and cook for addother 10 minutes. Add salt for seasoning.