Moderate salicylate, for low salicylate swap to white potato
For this recipe you need
- 400g sweet potato (S) , peeled, cut into 2cm cubes
- 400g firm white fish fillets (such as hoki or ling)
- 1 spring onion stem , finely sliced (use green tips only for low fodmap)
- Rice Flour
- Oil for cooking
- Optional 1 garlic clove , crushed (leave out for low fodmap)
- Optional 1/4 cup of green peas (moderate glutamate)
- Steam, boil or microwave sweet potato for 8–10 minutes, or until just tender; drain well. Transfer to a bowl, mash roughly with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, steam or grill fish for 6–8 minutes, or until just cooked through. Set aside to cool, then flake fish with a fork.
- Once cooled mixed sweet potato and fish together with the garlic and spring onion (and PEAS (G) if using).
- Shape into patties and coat with rice flour,
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Pan fry the fish cakes for 2–3 minutes each side, or until golden brown.