This dish serves 4 as a dinner side
- 1 tbsp suitable oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups of sliced leek (white part only) – If you wish you can swap leek for common green or savoy cabbage
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500g white potatoes, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium swede, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- butter for greasing dish
- Preheat the oven to 180c, . Melt the oil and butter together in a frying pan and add the leek and garlic. Cook gently for 5 minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Combine the leek mixture, potatoes and swede in a buttered 1.5 litre shallow ovenproof dish and season with salt.
- Mix the cream and milk together and pour over the vegetables.
- Bake for 1 hour until the vegetables are tender and the top golden. If top seems to browning too much cover with foil.