To poach chicken
1. Place chicken breasts in a single layer in a heavy based saucepan or frying pan and add enough water to just cover. Optional add garlic, and other suitable flavours or vegetables for additional flavour.
2. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium-high heat. You should only see small bubbles rising to the surface. Do not boil as this will make the meat tough. Cover and poach until cooked through.
After the water is simmering follow this guide
- 125g chicken breast fillets. Poach 5 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside, covered, for 5 minutes. Should feel firm when pressed with tongs.
- 300g chicken breast fillets. Poach 10 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside, covered, for 10 minutes. Should feel firm when pressed with tongs.
3. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate. Set aside to rest slightly before shredding or slicing. Alternatively, cool and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
TIP: instead of discarding the poaching liquid keep and use for stock. Will Freeze.