This pear sauce is very simple to make, and quite tasty with fish cakes, rissoles or potato cakes. For Chutney – do not blend.
- 1 small can (410 grams) of pears in syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon citric acid
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Drain the pears keeping the syrup.
- Put syrup in sauce pan (medium heat) to reduce to around half.
- Meanwhile dice pears quite small
- Once syrup has reduced add pears, the brown sugar, citric acid and salt.
- Cook on medium-low heat with occasional stirring till the pears are cooked down. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Blend until smooth for sauce or for a chutney style do not blend, or blend just half .
(optional extras – celery, garlic)