- 1 tbs rice bran or canola oil
- 1 leek thinly sliced ( washed, pale section)
- 2 celery sticks sliced
- 350 grams skinless chicken breast (fat trimmed)
- ¾ cup of Pearl Barley
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Parsley 1/3 cup (loosely packed)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook leek and celery, stirring, for 5 minutes. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes or until tender. . Add 4 cups (1L) water and the chicken and increase heat to medium-high. Simmer gently for 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Use tongs to remove chicken and transfer it to a plate. Cover loosely with foil.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt and pearl barley to the stock (poaching liquid) and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, for 35 minutes or until pearl barley is tender. Cook for 1 minute. Stir through two-thirds of the parsley.
- Cut or tear chicken into chunks. Ladle barley stew into serving bowls and top with chicken.
- Garnish with remaining parsely