To cook barley, rinse the grains under cold running water, removing any hulls. Then, cook it using a 1:3 ratio of barley to water — for example, for 0.5 cups of barley, use 1.5 cups of water.
Pearled barley cooks in about an hour, whereas hulled barley takes about 1.5 hours to become tender.
Here are some ways to add barley to your diet:
- Try barley flakes as a breakfast porridge instead of oats.
- Add it to soups and stews.
- Make a grain salad with cooked barley, vegetables and dressing.
- Eat it as a side dish instead of rice or quinoa.
- Try drinking barley water.
error: Content is protected !!