Gluten Free Banana Bread Recipe
120 g (1/2 cup) butter (or dairy free spread)
100 g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
52 g (1/4 cup) white sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
3 just-ripe bananas
210 g (1 1/2 cup) gluten free plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp citric acid
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Line or grease a loaf tin.
- Chop the bananas into small pieces, heat in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften and then mash until smooth. (Alternatively, roast the bananas in their peel for 15 minutes and then let cool to caramelise and soften them)
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Mix through the eggs, mashed banana and vanilla.
- In a small cup mix the citric acid, baking soda and baking powder with a couple of tablespoons of water (the citric acid will reduce the taste of the baking soda).
- Mix the flour, salt and baking soda mixture through the wet ingredients until combined.
- Transfer to the loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes in the middle of the oven. Check the loaf (it’s done once the top is golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out relatively clean) and cook for a further five minutes if needed. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
This banana bread is extra delicious warm, so toast your slice or reheat it in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds before eating
The banana bread also freezes very well, so slice and freeze for an easy treat later.