A delicious shortbread base covered with sticky caramel and a crumble topping. Perfect for a picnic or shared morning tea. Think caramel slice with crunch!
- 200 g butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 400 g can sweetened condensed milk
- 100 g butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- Preheat oven to 160°C and line a medium (about 30cm x 24cm) sponge roll tin with baking paper.
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy. Stir in flour and baking powder to form a soft, crumbly dough. Press two thirds of the mixture into prepared tray.
- To make the Caramel Filling, heat condensed milk, butter and golden syrup in a small pot until butter is fully melted. Pour over slice base. Crumble remaining base mixture over the top and bake until golden and set (30-35 minutes). Allow slice to cool in the tin before slicing into about 30 pieces.
Recipe from New Idea