Contains gluten and dairy
This recipe makes 3 mince beef wellingtons (a cross between a cornish pastie and an oversized sausage roll), each mince beef wellington will serve 3 people. You can make 2 larger ones if you wish.
This recipe freezes well, prepared and prior to being cooked.
Serves 9 or more
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 500 grams lean beef mince of veal mince (organic preferred)
- 1 leek green discarded white washed and sliced
- 1 stick of celery sliced (say 1 cm)
- 1 stick of CARROT (S) optional (not for strict ED)
- 1 small swede thickly peeled and diced
- 1 medium potato or diced 1 cm
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 cup of frozen PEAS (G) – optional (not for strict)
- 1 large egg
- Salt for seasoning
- 2 or 3 sheets suitable puff pastry e.g. Pampas (you can get gluten free puff pastry*)
Heat oil in fry pan, medium high heat
Place all the vegetables in heated fry pan fry and soften stirring for about 8 minutes add garlic and frozen peas fry another minute, transfer to a bowl and cool
Whisk egg and add to mince meat with a good pinch of sea salt add in vegetables and mix well.
With the long edge of pastry near you add 1/3 mince mixture and shape into a sausage shape, mold pastry around it brush the pastry edges with a little egg and squeeze together it should look like a big Christmas cracker, repeat with remaining sheet(s)
Bake for an hour until golden.