This Beef and Lentil Cottage Pie serves 6
- 2 leeks sliced (white part only)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 500 grams beef or veal mince
- 2 cups of home made stock I use a stock recipe from RPAH Allergy Unit Friendly Food Cookbook – or a chicken stock made simply by using leftover chicken bones from roast, water and salt)
- 2 cups of water
- 200 grams red lentils (rinsed)
- Salt for seasoning
- Mash Potato (made using about 800 grams white potato) and Butter or suitable DF spread (e.g. Nuttelex)
Soften leek in a little heated oil slowly (you do not want it to brown) then add garlic and mince and brown.
Add stock and water and rinsed red lentils. Cook for about 20 minutes – until lentils have softened. Add a little extra water if too thick.
Season with Salt to liking
Place in pie dish or pyrex oblong dish and top with Mash Potato.
Transfer to the oven and cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes
Serve with green beans and brussels sprout or braised red cabbage
or other suitable veg