Banana Cupcakes with Maple Syrup Icing (A)
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 tbs butter (or dairy free alternative e.g. Nuttelex (V))
- 1 egg (or egg replacer)
- 3 medium BANANAS, mashed (not over ripe) ^
- 225g plain flour or spelt flour or Gluten Free plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3 tbs milk (or dairy free alternative – soy or rice milk)
- pinch of salt.
For Icing (NB you can eat them without the icing if you wish)
- 125g unsalted butter, slightly softened (or suitable dairy free alternative e.g. Nuttelex
- 1 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbs milk (or water or dairy free alternative – soy or rice milk)
- 2 tbs maple syrup – must be pure, do not use imitation
Preheat oven to 180°c and line your muffin tray with large cupcake cases.
In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
In another mixing bowl, add butter or dairy free spread (V), sugar and vanilla – cream together using an electric mixer on medium to high until light, fluffy and pale yellow.
Add egg or egg replacer, mixing in well.
Divide the mixture into the cases. Bake in oven for 20 minutes, remove and allow to cool completely.
Now for the icing.
In a mixing bowl, add butter or dairy free alternative (e.g. Nuttelex) and using an electric mixer beat on medium until pale (about a few minutes).
Ice cupcakes when cooled