- 600 grams of chicken thigh cut into around 3 cm pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon FIVE SPICE (S) (note 1)
- 1 tbs plain flour or gf rice flour
- 2 tbs canola or other suitable oil
- 1 large CARROT (S) peeled and chopped
- 1 leek white chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 cups of cooked long grain rice
- 4 cups of home made chicken stock (with suitable ingredients)
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh Parsley
Step 1 Place the chicken, flour and five spice in a sealable plastic bag. Seal and toss to coat.
Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
Add the rice and stir to combine. Add the stock and stir until well combined. Return the chicken to the pan. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 12-15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Set aside, covered, for 10 minutes to stand. Sprinkle with the fresh parsley leaves to serve.
Note 1 Spices can be very high in salicylates, however a small amount of some spices are only low to moderate. Five Spice is high salicylate for 1 tspn, however at 1/4 teaspoon it is medium. Per serve (1 of 4) the amount of five spice in each serve is 1/16 of a teaspoon. This amount is actually low salicylate.