For the fish cakes
- 300grams white peeled potato chopped
- 1 TBS butter or suitable dairy free spread (e.g. Nuttelex original)
- 300 grams fresh white fish
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tbsp non gm Canola Oil or Rice Bran Oil
For the creamy peas
- 1 TBS butter or suitable dairy free spread
- 1-2 shallot stems thinly sliced
- 300g frozen peas (Moderate Glutamate )
- 4 Tbspoons of cream cheese, or for dairy free leave out, or substitute with suitable stock
Preheat the oven to 200C
To make the fish cakes, cook the potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain and set aside to dry for a couple of minutes.
Mash with a potato masher until smooth then mix in the butter or df spread, and season with salt. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, poach fish, until cooked through. Drain, pat dry with kitchen paper and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
Break the fish into flakes and add to the mashed potato. Season with salt to taste
Put rice flour into a shallow bowl and season with a pinch of salt. Shape the potato and fish mixture into 4 large patties.
Dust a fishcake in the flour, refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to allow them to firm up.
Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes,turning after 10 minutes. (place on baking paper and spray with canola oil, Alternatively you can shallow fry, and have smaller patties!
To make the creamy peas. Heat frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the butter and, once hot, add the french shallots along with a pinch of salt. Fry gently until tender and translucent. Add the peas and crush lightly with the back of a fork. Once the peas are heated through, stir in the cream cheese until melted, or stir through some stock. (DF)
Serve the hot fish cakes with the creamy peas alongside.